Monday, March 11, 2013

An Afternoon with Samuel Clemens

I was walking down the beach when I met this guy fishing. He says to me, "Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish."

Fishing on Cape San Blas


I have Arnie, our Portuguese Water Dog, with me and he gives the dog a stern look and says, "The dog is a gentleman; I hope to go to his heaven, not man's." I say to myself, I recognize this guy, but I can't quite place him. I'm intrigued. We have a great conversation, discussing all matter of subjects. I ask him if he's done any golfing in the area, and like the dog earlier, he gives me a stern look and says, "Golf is a good walk spoiled." Eventually, we introduce ourselves, and he tells me he's Sam Clemens. And then it hits me, I've spent the afternoon with none other than Mark Twain. You might have heard of him.

Mark Twain (aka Emmett Doiron)

I said, "You can't fool me, you're Mark Twain, the great American humorist, but you've been dead for...like...a hundred years." Where upon he turned to me and gave me the 'look' and says, "Look here sonny, the reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated."

'The' Mark Twain

KP

No comments:

Post a Comment