Saturday, March 16, 2013

First game of the year

I finally got a chance to use my new membership at the St. Joseph Bay Golf Club. The course opened in 1969 and reminds me of the Mars Sand Hills track back home in Manitoba. Replace the Mars jack pine with longleaf pine and you have St. Joe. It's a little rough around the edges, the greens were slow and inconsistent and the fairways were quite muddy. I'm not sure if that was due to recent watering to ensure they don't dry out or if that is the aftermath of above average precipitation along the Florida Panhandle this winter. However, for $7.50 how could you go wrong? What I like about the course design is that every hole is right in front of you. What I mean by that is there are no gimmicks or tricked up holes; nothing goofy. What you see, is what you get.

Henry Suman (14) busts one down the 496 yard par 5 16th

One of the beautiful things about golf is who you meet. The pro shop suggested I start on #10. So I trotted out to the tee box where a couple of young fellows were just getting ready to tee off. The older boy comes over and says, "Would you like to join us sir." 'Sir,' he calls me. Talk about polite. He introduces himself as Henry Suman from Houston, Texas along with his brother Knox. They're just finishing up their spring break and will be heading back to Texas the following day. I watch his practise swings intently and then he steps up to the ball and smokes it. Wow! "When did you start playing Henry," I ask, "five or six?" He says, "Last year." "Last year! Are you kidding me." Yikes, this kid is good.

Knox Suman (10) aka 'The Doc'

We complete the back nine and I've been noticing Knox's smooth tempo and solid contact. I take note and hit my best drive of the day on #1, my 10th hole. Knox, my 'swing doctor,' has me sorted and I open my back nine, par - par - bogie - bogie - bogie. Thanks Knox.

(l-r) Henry, Ken & Knox

We just might see the name Suman on a leader board in eight to 10 years time. Thanks for the round boys. It was a most enjoyable afternoon at St. Joe.

Oh and by the way, I'm sure you're wondering what I shot; 95 on nines of 49-46. I'm afraid the 9 on #6, my 15th, did me in. Should I start with the excuses...

KP

No comments:

Post a Comment