Friday, March 29, 2013

Hidden Gem on the Forgotten Coast

Every once in a while you have one of those days where everything just comes together. In this case, a magnificent golf course and a new friend. I had planned to drive the two and one half hours to Tallahassee to play the Fred Couples designed Southwood course, ranked #25 in "The Top Courses you can play in Florida" by Golf Magazine. However, golfers I met kept telling me, why don't you drive to Carrabelle, about 45 minutes east and play St. James Bay. Whoa! am I happy I took their advice. A great track.

I joined up with Don Scanlan (63) of Marriotts Cove, about an hour's drive south of Halifax, Nova Scotia. A retired financial advisor (hope his clients took his advice), it turned out we had a mutual friend in Larry Teetaert, whom I worked with at Parks for 30 years. Canada may be a big country, but it's a small world.

Don Scanlan on the 158-yard par 3, 11th
As the story goes, St. James Bay was developed by a Texas oil tycoon for his own playing pleasure. It was as if JR Ewing himself, had invited us to his private playground. We had the course to ourselves.

Ken blasts out of a bunker on #16 on route to a 'sandy'
St. James Bay was like no other course I have ever played. Built in a wetland and certified a Signature Sanctuary by Audubon International, the course is a maze of boardwalks to get over and around the swamps and gator ponds. It was like playing in a bird sanctuary with herons, egrets and cardinals at every turn. We played from the whites, which only measured 5439 yards, but don't let the length fool you; this was all target golf. You needed the precision of a surgeon. I managed to splash six balls, even though I played quite well. It was the most balls I can ever remember losing during a round.

For the record I shot 86 on nines of 39/47 with nine pars and one birdie. Thank you Don. Great day, see you on the 'Jimmy' next spring.

KP

No comments:

Post a Comment